1.In Case of Emergency
(1) Contact Numbers
Crime or traffic accident: Call the Police Station (Call 110)
Fire, serious injury or sudden illness: Call the Fire Department (Call 119)

Although ambulance is a 24-hour free service, you will incur medical costs. Make sure to have your insurance card, residence card and cash ready while you are waiting for ambulance.
An ambulance will come with a red rotating light and a siren. Go outside to make your presence known.
Note that you can ask for an ambulance only in case of an emergency. Please go to the nearby hospital by public transportation or taxi, when you are not seriously injured.

(3)If you are involved in an emergency situation, please report to the International Students Section and academic advisor as soon as possible. At night during on holidays, please contact the university guardroom.

International Students Section of International Division TEL: 0742-20-3240
University Guardroom丂TEL: 0742-20-3214
It is always a good idea to have proper fire safety knowledge.
For example, make sure to switch off the heating apparatus or gas tap when you go out or while you are sleeping. Just in case, try to check your evacuation route, where a fire extinguisher is placed and how to use one.

乻How to respond to a fire乼
Stay calm, and act as follows while securing your own safety:
Alert neighbors
丒Shout out 乬Fire!乭 to people nearby and call 119 as soon as possible.
Put out a fire if possible
丒Try to put out a fire if it is in the early stage.
丒Otherwise, evacuate before a fire reaches to the ceiling.
Evacuate as fast as you can!
丒Make sure to cover your mouth and nose with a wet cloth in a low posture.
Japan is a country where earthquakes are a regular occurrence so that you should make a mental note of the followings:

(1) Prepare for an earthquake:
嘆 Place large/tall furniture (e.g. bookshelf) secured to a wall, and do not store large/heavy things on a higher place.
嘇 Have a fire extinguisher at your home if possible, or know where one is placed if you live in a dormitory.
嘊 Prepare your emergency goods(e.g. passport, residence card and insurance card) in a backpack in advance and be ready to grab it at any time.
嘋 Join a local fire drill.

(2) When an earthquake occurs:
嘆 Go under a table or a desk to secure a space.
嘇 Open a window or a door to secure an exit route for prompt evacuation. Stay calm and do not panic to rush outside as you may sustain an injury by falling objects.
嘊 Turn off a main gas valve, and unplug electric appliances.
嘋 In case of fire, try to put out by a fire extinguisher.
嘍 Do not go near stone/ brick walls, gateposts, or very high buildings.
嘐 Try to get yourself updated with the latest news from reliable source.
Utilities (electricity, gas and water) are usually not included in rent, and you need to sign a contract with them by yourself.
Note that the voltage is 100V and the frequency is 60Hz in Nara (in Kansai region). Make sure to purchase appropriate electric appliances.
Make sure to find appropriate gas appliances for your area. If you are unsure, seek advice from your gas upplier.
Contact information for utility companies are as follows:
When you move house, make sure to contact utility companies prior to your move-in/move-out.

Electricity: Kansai Electric Power Co., Nara brarch 乮TEL:0800-777-8810乯 仸Other companies are also available.
Water: Nara City Enterprise Bureau乮TEL:0742-34-5200
Gas: Osaka Gas Co., Customer乫s Center, Living division, Hokubu (North) Office 乮TEL:0120-5-94817
*Other companies are also available.
5.Payments for Utility Bills
The followings are the payment methods for utility bills.

(1)Automatic Transfer
Payments are withdrawn on a designated day from your account. For procedures, ask a teller at a bank or a post office.

(2)Direct Payment
You make payments at the branch office of your utility company, at banks or at a post office.

(3)Overdue bills
You need to pay overdue bills directly at the branch office of your utility company.

(4)When moving house
You can make payments on your moving day. Make sure to contact your utility companies in advance. When you move house in Japan, you can ask them to forward a final bill to your new address. Please contact them for details.
(1) Cellular Phones
We recommend you to check plans and call charges at several telephone companies before you sign a contract.
Make sure to bring an ID (your passport, residence card or Student ID Card) when you make a contract.

(2) Public Phones
You may find public phones in downtown areas.
Prepare 10 yen, 100 yen or a telephone card with you.
You can make international calls from public phones with 乬INTERNATIONAL TELEPHONE乭 sign.
NWU has a public phone on the 1st floor at University Union.
7.Postal Service
(1) Receiving Mail
Please note that your family or friends should send mails directly to you.
If you want to receive any mails at the university, you need to consult the International Students Section beforehand.

(2) Sending Mails or Parcels
You can send letters, parcels or cash by post.
For details, ask the staff at a post office.
You can also send parcels by home delivery service. You can use this service at the Co-op (in University Union) and convenience stores with a home delivery company sign.

*Sending letters or goods overseas
Please use the 乬International Mail My Page Service乭 to send EMS, international parcels or small packets.
For more detailed information, please refer to the following websites:
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ead/index.html (Japanese)
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ead/index_en.html (English)
8.JAPAN POST BANK (Post Office)
Post office gives many services such as mail delivery service, savings, insurance and utility payments.
仠Opening hours:
9:00 to 17:00 (for most services on weekdays)
9:00 to 16:00 (for savings and insurance on weekdays)
NB: Check their website for opening hours and services, as they may vary in branch

NWU has ATM on campus located on west side of the restaurant in the Student Union.

You can find a few post offices around NWU, such as Nara Higashimuki Post Office (TEL:0742-26-3904) which is the closest one, Nara Central Post Office or Horen Post Office.
When you move house, submit the change of address notification to the nearest post office. They will forward your mail to your new address for one year for free as long as it乫s in Japan.
9.Bank Account
You may find it convenient to have a bank account for rent, utility payment, receipt for scholarship or part-time job. Around NWU, there are JAPAN POST BANK (Post Office), Nanto Bank branch, Bank of Mitsubishi UFJ branch and SMBC branch.

仠To open a bank account:
嘆 Requirements:
Residence card, passport, Student ID card and seal if you have one.
We suggest that you should check their webpage for detailed information about the required documents prior to your visit.
嘇 At a bank:
With the above requirements, inquire about the necessary procedures. After opening an account, you may receive a cash card on the same day, or they will send it by registered mail in one to two weeks.
NB: You may need to make an appointment with them. For further information, check the bank乫s website.

NB: Occasionally, it may take a few days to open a bank account.
You must follow the basic rules for sorting and disposal of garbage accordingly.
Generally, they should be sorted out by their types: burnable, non-burnable, recyclable and oversized ones.
Collection days for each type differs. Check the schedule, or ask your neighbors if you are unsure.
For disposal of unused large size household electric appliances, you may have to pay for recycle service fee. Ask an electric appliance shop if you are at all unsure.